Essential Things to Do Now
This week, Heather and I are putting together our “Essential Things to Do Now” email quick response sheets for you to download in the resource section. We have found that there are so many things that need your our clients attention when a family member passes away, that it’s sometimes hard to deal with all the issues that surround probate as well.
If you have the added responsibility of dealing with the deceased’s affairs, then you have to consider and make decisions on many different issues, some of which are unfamiliar task for many of us, such as:
- Registering a death and who you need to inform
- How to pay for the funeral
- How to protect property, especially if it is unoccupied
- How to arrange insurance for assets and motor vehicles remaining in the deceased’s name
- Where to turn for counselling and emotional support
- Potential future benefit entitlement and advice on stopping existing benefit payments in order to avoid repayment issues
Once these essential matters have been attended to then I’m sure that many of our visitors to this site will also also be then prepared to understand more about Probate and Estate Administration and whether Probate will apply to the estate of the deceased.
The link to these new resource sheets will be shortly posted here. In the meantime, if you do have any questions, please use the comments section below or call us on the above number.
Is there anything that you would add to our “essential things to do now” list? If so, please let us know in the comments below and we’ll work on adding it to the series….